Things to do in Port Elizabeth (Nelson Mandela Bay)
Nelson Mandela Bay an excellent value-for-money-family-fun-in-the-sun-holiday destination, named after Nelson Mandela - humanitarian, freedom fighter and world icon of peace - is located 763 km east of Cape Town, is regarded as the "official" gateway to the scenic Eastern Cape Province and the world renowned Garden Route and is sometimes referred to (by the people who know her best) as the "friendly city" or the "water sport capital of Africa".
Nelson Mandela Bay has got everything a visitor expects to find on a South African holiday. We are the only city that boasts the Big 7 (Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino, Lion, Leopard, Humpback Whale and Great White Shark). Port Elizabeth (The Friendly City) is known for its over 40Km coast that boast a multitude of Blue Flag Beaches and hours of sunshine to enjoy them in. After a fun day out enjoy the fun and entertainment of the Nelson Mandela Bay nightlife. Port Elizabeth is also known as the Mohair Capital of the World and the 5 Biome City.
- The estimated population of Nelson Mandela Bay, home to Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and Despatch comprises over 1,5 million, making it South Africa's fifth largest city in terms of population and the second largest in terms of area.
- Situated on the shores of the Indian Ocean, overlooking Algoa Bay, this bustling seaport city and 'water sport capital of Africa' flaunts an atmosphere of relaxed year-round fun and excitement. Warm, dry Summers and mild Winter temperatures entice water sport lovers to Port Elizabeth throughout the year.
- Port Elizabeth's breathtaking seashores boast a perfect combination of warm water, protected beaches and invigorating sea breezes.
We are only one hour away from several games reserves & Addo National Elephant Park.
Kings Beach Flea Market which is open every Sunday, water sports like surfing, kite surfing, wind surfing & scuba diving.
Surf, Rock and Deep Sea Angling, Sailing, Yachting and Boat Charters and Blue Flag Beaches
Here you will find some of the world's best sailing venues, first-rate scuba diving with colourful coral species, beautiful reefs, shipwrecks, "in-bay" seals, whales, dolphins and near perfect conditions for wind-surfing, angling, snorkeling, kite-surfing, fly-fishing and canoeing.
- Port Elizabeth Golf Course (Parklands Course)
- Humewood Golf Course (Links Course)
- Walmer Golf Course (Parklands Course)
- Wedgewood Golf Course (Parklands Course)
- Boardwalk Casino
- Entertainment Complex
- Sandboarding & Horse riding at Sardinia Bay
- Various hikes & trails in and around the City, as well as mountain biking, canoeing and abseiling.
- South End Museum
- No 7 Castle Hill
- Fort Fredrick
- The Bayworld Museum
- Donkin Memorial & Heritage Trail, and many other historical sites and landmarks around the City.
- St Georges Cricket Ground
- Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (2010 World Cup Soccer Stadium)
- Greenacres/The Bridge & Walmer Park, Baywest with major chain stores
Shopping for curios
- Kings Beach Flea Market
- Art in the Park (St Georges Park)
- Boardwalk Craft Market
Port Elizabeth has a wealth of excellent restaurants on offer. The cuisine is a reflection of the waves of settlers that have come to South Africa since the 17th century: expect strong influences from British, Dutch, Greek, and German cuisine as well as indigenous African dishes.
• Golden Coast Chinese Restaurant (3 minutes walk)
• Kentucky (3 minutes walk)
• Spar, Checkers
• Boardwalk Entertainment Casino Complex (5 minutes drive)
- Greenacres Shopping Centre (9.4 km)
- Walmer Park Shopping Centre (7.1 km)
- Golden Coast (0.5 km)
- The Friendly Stranger (1.8 km)
- Bocadillos Cafe & Bakers (1.8 km)
- Lakeside (22 km)
- North End Lake(8.3 km)
- Baakensriver (3 km)
- Maitlandsriver (30 km)
- Swartkopsriver (18 km)
- Hobie Beach(0 km)
- Seaview / Beachview(24.4 km)
Please visit www.pembba.co.za for more Port Elizabeth sport, events & activities info